This April, there’s birding events, a kids fest, reggae festival and Galveston Island’s Third Annual Food and Wine Festival. Make your plans early.
Events not to miss this April:
- April 7 - Movie Nite on The Strand is featuring “The Sting” starring Paul Neuman and Robert Redford. Movies are shown at Saengerfest Park, 2302 Strand, shortly after dusk. Make sure that you bring a chair and pick up dinner in one of Galveston’s wonderful restaurants.
- April 12 – 15 - 10th Annual Galveston Featherfest and Nature Photo Festival. Featherfest offers 107 different activities including multiple photography workshops at The Tremont House, birding workshops and field trips based out of nearby Old Galveston Square on The Strand, and a free Raptor Show at Saengerfest Park throughout the weekend. This year, organizers will recognize festival founders which include George Mitchell and his daughter Sheridan Mitchell Lorenz as well as the initial event organizer Renee Adame and Steven Creitz.
Raptors Revealed is one of the free events scheduled as part of Galveston's FeatherFest Birding and Nature Photography Festival held annually in April. The Raptors Revealed shows are scheduled throughout the Featherfest weekend.
- April 13 – 15 - JA-GA Reggae Fest at Pier 21. The free event will offer live music, a fashion show and a variety of authentic artistry and cuisine. Cooking teams are invited to compete in a “Jamaican Jerk Cook-Off.”
- April 14 – Music Nite on the Strand will feature gypsy/folk band CDSMP at Saengerfest Park from 6 to 9 p.m.
- April 14 – The Grand 1894 Opera House will host its 17th Annual Grand Kids Fest from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Postoffice Street from 20th to 23rd Streets.
- April 20 – 21 – Third Annual Galveston Island Food and Wine Festival featuring a Premium Wine Tasting and Gulf Seafood Showcase from 6 to 8 p.m. on Friday and The Grand Tasting in the Park from 2 to 5 p.m. on Saturday at Saengerfest Park.
- April 21 – ArtWalk from 6 to 9 p.m.
- April 27 - Galveston’s Arbor Day Celebration with Dan Rather. He will make an appearance at the Arbor Day Celebration at Adoue Park from 11 a.m. to noon and is the featured speaker for a fundraiser for the Galveston Island Tree Conservancy during “Conversation and Cocktails with Dan Rather” from 6 to 7:30 p.m. on Friday, April 27 at The Tremont House.