Galveston Island’s calendar stays pretty full with free events and annual festivals and tours. This May, mark your calendar for these “must do” events.
- May 5, 6, 12, 13 – The 38th Annual Galveston Historic Homes Tour. You can tour ten privately owned Galveston homes. Related Link: Ten Tips for Homes Tour
- May 5 – Movie Nite on The Strand featuring “The Blind Side” with Sandra Bullock. In honor of Leigh Ann Tuohy’s appearance at the May 17 Women’s Conference hosted by the Galveston Chamber of Commerce, you can see the movie inspired by her life and role in raising Michael Oher. Bring a chair and pick up dinner for this free outdoor movie screening. Movies are shown shortly after dusk.
- May 12 – Music Nite on The Strand featuring Sam Navarro & The Lone Star Devils. Do you like country music? Sam Navarro will perform at Saengerfest Park, 2302 Strand, during this free concert from 6 to 9 p.m. A second Music Nite is scheduled on May 26 and is featuring rock and roll with a touch of soul performed by Meagan Tubb & Shady People from Austin.
- May 18-19 – Yaga’s Wild Game Cookoff at Pier 21. Nothing is better than freshly cooked, hot barbecue and cold glass of beer. More than 80 teams compete in this annual cookoff. There’s a kid’s area too.
- May 18-19 – Galveston Island Beach Revue. On Saturday, you can see 50 participants compete in vintage and modern swimsuits at 51st and Seawall. This is a free event on the beach. They’ve also added a concert on Friday night at Saengerfest Park.