Galveston Island’s calendar is full of free activities, annual festivals and tours. This June is no different so mark your calendar for these “must do” events.
- June 2 – Movie Nite on The Strand featuring the 1984 sci-fi comedy “Ghostbusters” with Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Sigourney Weaver. Bring a chair and pick up dinner for this free outdoor movie screening. Movies are shown shortly after dusk. Movie Nite is always the first Saturday of the month and continues through October.
- June 2 – ArtWalk from 6 to 9 p.m.
- June 2 – 26th Annual AIA Sandcastle Competition at East Beach. This year more than 60 teams will compete for the prestigious Gold Bucket Award. This is one of the world’s largest sandcastle competitions and is organized by the Houston Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Sport your swimsuit, slather on the sunblock and enjoy these amazing sand creations.
- June 2 and 3 – Back Yard Garden Tour sponsored by Clean Galveston. Everyone loves to see what’s hidden behind someone’s fence and this tour gives you that chance. During the Back Yard Garden Tour, you’ll see seven of Galveston’s most beautiful gardens.
- June 9 – Music Nite on The Strand featuring Pee Wee Bowen. Oldies favorite Pee Wee Bowen will perform at Saengerfest Park, 2302 Strand, during this free concert from 6 to 9 p.m. A second Music Nite is scheduled on June 23 and is featuring the south coast sounds of Ocean Roots from 6 to 8 p.m.
- June 10 - 101st Anniversary of Hotel Galvez Opening. Brunch guests will enjoy a special anniversary cake and will receive a complimentary commemorative poster. Dinner guests will be treated to a free dessert when dining.
- June 15 and 16 – African American Museum Juneteenth Festival. This is a new, two-day event featuring live entertainment, food and art vendors. The festival pays tribute to African American music with a line-up of live jazz, reggae, R&B, and Zydeco performers. Kids can enjoy a variety of activities, including mechanical bull riding, face painting and sack racing. The festival is in the parking lot of Courville Football Stadium at the corner of 27th Street and Avenue M from 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. – 8:30 p.m. Saturday. Admission is free.
- June 16 - Great Texas Catamaran Race. You can watch the last leg of this 300 mile sailing race.
- June 23 - Music Nite on The Strand featuring Ocean Roots. Enjoy the south coast sounds of Ocean Roots from 6 to 8 p.m. at Saengerfest Park, 2302 Strand.
Also, don't forget that during the summer, families can enjoy the Galveston Summer Band Concert
every Tuesday beginning at 7:30 p.m. at the Sealy Pavilion, 24th and Ave. I, and performances by First Baptist Church of Galveston
every Wednesday beginning at 5 p.m. at Saengerfest Park, 2302 Strand. Moody Gardens also hosts Bands on the Sand
every Friday and Saturday night with live music from 6 to 10 p.m. and it ends with fireworks. Moody Gardens is featuring Bodies Revealed Exhibition
at the Discovery Museum through Sept. 9. For more information, visit www.DiscoverGalvestonTexas.com