Labor Day weekend is the last big holiday before Thanksgiving so plan ahead and get the most out of your visit.
Arrival on Friday, August 31, 2012.
- 4 p.m. - Check in at the hotel. Check-in at Hotel Galvez, The Tremont House and Harbor House begins at 4 p.m.
- It’s going to be a busy holiday weekend so make your dinner reservations in advance. Most locally owned restaurants will take reservations.
- Make your way to the new Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier. The pier is open until midnight. Make sure to try the Iron Shark Roller Coaster.
Saturday, September 1, 2012
- Have breakfast at the hotel. You have a long day ahead. You have the option to dine at Bernardo’s at Hotel Galvez; Tremont Café at The Tremont House; or if you are staying at Harbor House then enjoy the complimentary Continental breakfast.
- Make your way to the beach. If you are a guest at The Tremont House or Harbor House check with the front desk on shuttle times to Hotel Galvez and remember that you have signing privileges at Hotel Galvez so go to the pool or make an appointment at The Spa.
- You’ve lucked out. The first Saturday of every month is Movie Nite on The Strand. This month, you can enjoy a free showing of the original 1964 “The Pink Panther” starring Peter Sellers, David Niven and Robert Wagner. Order dinner to go, bring a chair or blanket and enjoy a free movie at Saengerfest Park. Movies are shown shortly after the sun sets.
Sunday, September 2, 2012
- You might as well enjoy some more time at the beach. As a bonus, Hotel Galvez offers complimentary bicycles for guests. There is also a bike and surrey rental just a block from the hotel. If you want to tour the East End and see the tree sculptures, ask the concierge for a map of the Tree Sculpture Tour or download the map.
- No summer trip to Galveston is complete without a visit to Schlitterbahn Water Park. The park is open from 10 am to 7 pm on Sunday and 10 am to 6 pm on Monday. Make sure you try the Boogie Bahn.
- If you didn’t make it before, then visit the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier. Galveston is still going to be busy tonight so make your dinner reservations earlier in the day.
Monday, September 3, 2012
Happy Labor Day!
- If you still have time, stop in at Moody Gardens. They are open from 10 am to 6 pm. Visit Palm Beach, Rainforest Pyramid, Aquarium and Bodies Revealed exhibit at the Discovery Pyramid.
Have a safe trip home.